Well, you have finally done it. After some planning and preparation you have built a better mousetrap and now yo need to get your idea off the ground. The only problem is that your wallet is a bit light at the moment.
Don’t despair my friends; you’re in luck.On May 16th you’ll get your chance to put your idea in front of investors who are hungry for new ideas. That’s because on that day, California State University Los Angeles will be hosting their annual FastPitch Competition.
Here is how can you take advantage of this incredible opportunity to pursue your business dreams:
- Register for free as a participant in the competition by May 1st.
- Outline a short business plan. It will take a little time and it can be challenging, but it will help take your idea from the drawing board to the market. You can attend a workshop on May 2nd to get pointers, or you can contact the California Small Business Development Center for assistance. They have classes, workshops, and professionals that will help you get started and asking the questions you haven’t even thought of yet.
- Once you have finished outlining your plan, you need to edit it and cut it down to one page, which you will then submit to Rob Carpen by 5 p.m. on Sunday, May 12th.
- After you have registered and submitted your business plan, you will need to come up with a pitch. On the day of the event, you will have exactly 90 seconds to convince the judges that your idea is worth funding. You can prepare for this by first watching Shark Tank to see how they present their products and ideas. This will be very similar to what you’ll have to do in front of the judges. Additionally, on May 9th you can attend the “Perfect Your Pitch” workshop to get further pointers.
- Perfect your product, practice your pitch, and get some sleep on May 15th because you have a competition to win and a dream to build starting the very next day.